Saturday 13 October 2012

WW1 Commemoration

The history of World War One has always fascinated me, even though my chosen period of study is c.19th America. My ancestors fought in the war, and visiting the battlefields 7 years ago was a wonderful and moving experience, one that I shall never forget. So I was pleased to hear that the government are pledging £50 million to mark the centenary of the war next year. The money will go towards national commemorations, museum exhibitions, and encouraging local communities to get involved in historic projects; the ultimate goal will be to honour those who served. Part of the money will also go to the Imperial War Museum and to schools across the country, who will get to travel to France and Belgium to see the cemeteries, museums and the famous Menin Gate.

"If I should die, think only this of me, that there's some corner of a foreign field, that is forever England."

No comments:

Post a Comment